Restoration III Forums

Forum Navigation
Forum breadcrumbs - You are here:ForumMain: Graphical ModdingGShade & Improving your SWG graph …
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

GShade & Improving your SWG graphics

So first question why Gshade and not Reshade?

Gshade is a repackaged version of Reshade with a custom depth filter built for multiplayer games, so we can do so much more then Reshade ever could such as Ambient occlusion self shadowing.

Where can I download Gshade?
https://gposers.com/gshade/

How do I install it to my restoration Client?
Install it running as administrator pointing it to your game client Exe (not the launcher).

All installation settings will be Directx9 and 32-bit, the rest I would leave as default.

then you have to install it again to the exe (weird I know) do this by going to start>type gshade, opening the control panel going to installations and remove the exe(trash icon), then click new, ensuring you are pointing at your Restoration client, if theres nothing there try adding New.

Now with Gshade installed you should be able to see it when you open your game client, Opening the main window is Shift F2, I would go through or skip through the tutorial its up to you, to toggle your effects on and off it is Shift F3.

Now if you dont want to customize your own filters I will be including a few presets of my own you just simply have to place these in your newly created Gshade presets folder, then in the F2 menu select one from the preset drop down at the top, the game may initially hang but should eventually resolve, as the filters are applied.

if you want to build your own filters I would strongly suggest using FFKeepUI at the top, and FFRestoreUI at the bottom, this will ensure your 2D UI elements like chat dont have the filters applied, Beyond that I would suggest experimenting with the filters and seeing what you like.

Issues with filters sticking to 3D elements

Yes it is true, if a 3d element such as a speeder or a weapon is in your toolbar, your filters will apply solely to that item on your UI level (it will also jump when you open inventory) the former though can be bypassed with a little creative macro usage.

This remarkably simple macro, opens up your 2nd toolbar activates the first item on the toolbar, and switches you back to your first toolbar, and it does it so fast you will never even see the shaders flicker off, you can use this to activate multiple items with a single click such as consumables, also can bind your speeder, switch weapons and change Armor all while maintaining your filters.

External antialising

Ingame AA is terrible, I would disable it in your graphics settings however Nvidia cards can force AA very well via the nvidia control pannel, here is an example of my settings to acheive that.

Non nvidia cards can also do this but I have been told it does not work with Gshade, if you find a work around to this please contact me however these were the settings presented to me for their graphics card.

a few final notes

there is a shader for ray tracing currently in a paid for beta you can seek out produced by Marty Mcfly who has done a lot of work for Nvidia in an official capacity (he has also made some of the best free reshade shaders currently out there) while it can do a lot to increase the graphical fidelity especially when finely tuned for SWG it will begin to eat into your preformance more heavily than most shader combinations though some will be particularly brutal so please monitor your fps, you can debug with shift G, so I find the ray tracing only somewhat worth it, more using it to setup perfect screenshots then actual gameplay as it can drop you down by up to 20 frames or worse depending on your settings.

and volumetric shadows from the game settings, I Just disable them for general gameplay and just use environment volumetric for occasional screenshots Gshade character AO is plenty, also there are a few depth of field filters that can super enhance your screenshots, good to play with, I used them extensively in our promo materials.

the presets I am constantly tweaking these and you may have to tweak them to your own personal taste saturation and your monitor contrast display for instance can both be a matter of personal taste and what looks right on your screen, I would suggest only using them as guide well unless you are happy with them out of the box

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1YbwdIif4MYo_2-vR-C_JwR9La9TNwpsk?usp=sharing

So I hope this guide will help you squeeze the most out of SWG in 2021

Lonesol, moribund and 7 other users have reacted to this post.
LonesolmoribundThagJonathJCenunclesid25HawkezDarkerFateHolyAvengerOneMyst

Thank you very much for this guide.

Very well put together and much appreciated!

The final screenshot you have at the end, is that with environment volumetric turned on for the sake of the screenshot? I want to say yes (given the shadows on the building) but they look a lot better vs the normal client environment shadow casting I've seen when trying it in game.

i followed the install guide and everything looks the same in gshade but the menu for it ingame does not work

Stryder has reacted to this post.
Stryder

Same issue as someone posted above it doesnt seem to be working followed instructions exactly everything is in the right place ive used reshade with quite a few other games. Im sure were missing something but im not sure what. Ill try a reinstall of Gshade

*fixed my issue by just doing a fresh install it failed to install everything the first time around for whatever reason

Hawkez has reacted to this post.
Hawkez
Quote from Stryder on June 4, 2021, 1:01 am

*fixed my issue by just doing a fresh install it failed to install everything the first time around for whatever reason

I heard some people with issues around the Install it occours to me it may be linked to permissions and you may need to run the install of Gshade as Admin, going to update the main post

Stryder has reacted to this post.
Stryder

Hi there,

Question: would the texture updates listed in Item #4 of this link work for Resto 3?

http://empireinflames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=562

Thanks for any guidance...

Quote from monkieboy on June 6, 2021, 6:23 pm

Hi there,

Question: would the texture updates listed in Item #4 of this link work for Resto 3?

sure but at 750 mb they probably suck, we got more things coming down the pipeline in regards to this so stay tuned......

Hawkez, monkieboy and 4 other users have reacted to this post.
HawkezmonkieboyjadhuggamingStryderritmototalDraconicus
Quote from Hslayer on June 7, 2021, 2:13 am
Quote from monkieboy on June 6, 2021, 6:23 pm

Hi there,

sure but at 750 mb they probably suck, we got more things coming down the pipeline in regards to this so stay tuned......

I know you all are super busy but im very excited after seeing what you posted above!

Thanks for all your hard work

ritmototal has reacted to this post.
ritmototal
RSS Feed